Marble stone, the scientific name for alabaster, is a relatively dense limestone formed by the deposition of calcium carbonate in limestone pits filled with bicarbonate.
marble stone has a particular beauty that is not only related to its color and design but also to its transparency. Marble stone like travertine is a product of the function of old spa springs and layers are usually found in layers of travertine.
In the process of heating hot springs, aragonite is formed if the water temperature drops slowly, and travertine is formed if the temperature drops rapidly.
The stone created from aragonite is called marble in Iran. The marble brand is Onyx and is available in green, lemon, amber yellow, milky white, dark honey and brown. The reserves of this rock in Iran are small.
On the marble surface there are veins of different colors depending on the type of impurity and its concentration. The major constituents of marble stones are calcite and then aragonite, and the other minerals are clay and quartz.
Marble may be in white or different colors such as beige, orange, brown, pink, red, green, sky blue and yellow depending on the type of impurity and its concentration in the stone. Rarely the color of marble is uniform, reddish streaks or brownish spots on this type of rock are due to the presence of iron oxide.
It should be said that the color variation of marble stone is due to the presence of iron, aluminum, magnesium, etc.
If it contains hydrous iron oxide, it is brown or yellow in color, red or pink because of the presence of dehydrated or hydrated iron oxide. If they contain manganese or charcoal, their color is blue, gray or black.
Marbles are very brittle at low thicknesses that can be reinforced with epoxy resins. Marble stone is also less resistant to atmospheric pollution.
Therefore it should be used more in interior decoration and in areas with low humidity, even in places such as the kitchen or bathroom where there may be weak acids, marble should not be used.
Marble is a sturdy and solid stone that is most used in the manufacture of furniture and decorative items and it has long been one of the most widely used to make marble sculptures.
Pots have been found in Egypt that were made of marble five thousand years BC. It is also used in homes and is used for flooring, lounge, wall and open kitchen table.
It is very important to know that marbles should not be exposed to sunlight because they become opaque and lose their color.
Marble stone is used in interior decoration of buildings, sculpture, and marble tile and as a luxury wall coverings.
The most important features of Marble stone
- Marble stone is bright and highly polishable so it can be polished easily.
- Marble stone is very resistant to climate change and does not suffer from cold, heat and rain. Marble, for example, does not absorb heat, so its surface is always cool, so it can be used to cool the space by using the flooring.
- This material is anti-allergenic and does not contain dust so it is easy to maintain and clean as it can be cleaned with a damp cloth.
- Marble stone has a brilliant surface. The reason for this luminosity is the penetration of light into the rock and its reflection by the lower layers. In fact, some kind of internal reflection occurs. This stone is a perfect example for use in the kitchen.
- The price of marble stone is higher than other stones used in interior decoration of the building.
Prices of Marble stone
The price of marble depends on several factors:
- Different Colors and Designs: The more uniform the marble color is, the higher the price.
- Quality and stone analysis: The closer the stone analysis is to the desired level, the higher the price.
- Stone Size: The larger the size and thickness of the stone, the higher the price.
- Type of stone processing: The type of stone processing has a decisive role in the price of marble. The type of resin or epoxy, the use of UV technology, the precision of cutting and grinding the stone, the amount of stone polishing, the mesh behind the stone and the type of packing and transportation of marble stones will affect the price of marble.
- Stone Appearance: Marble stones are sub-sorted after the cut-off stage, which have different types. If it is in the form of a Book Matched, its price will be higher.
Applications of Marble stone
Most architects believe that the use of marble stone because of its different shapes and colors can be adapted to any style of decoration.
Most decorators use marble in home decoration to make the decoration expensive and wealthy.
In addition to the marvelous beauty of marble in the home, they can be invested in strength and durability.
Marble rocks keep the house cool because of their cool surface. Therefore, it can be used as a construction floor in a part of Iran that has a tropical climate. Marble stones are resistant to any chemicals, will not scratch or abrade over time.
Traditionally, marble stone was used in ancient Egypt and Greece to build temples and monasteries.
In addition to the construction of temples and monasteries, which are considered to be the most widely used marble stone, due to the abundance of marble and its low price in ancient times, marble stones were used in corridors, staircases, bathrooms and interior and exterior facades of buildings and the structures.
The most important reasons for using this type of masonry at that time and even now are to be resistant to any climatic conditions and rain and snow.
Due to the high cost of marble stones, they are less commonly used today. But buying and usage of them can be a great investment.
In the past, because of their abundance, marble was used not only for small sculptures, but also for the luxurious use of buildings in the interior wall of houses and structures.
The noble and captivating marble stone is always considered because of its smooth and luminous surface and is used in cases such as cabinets, flooring, toilets, fireplaces and more.
Easy cleaning with a simple napkin and not absorbing dust is one of the important benefits of this type of building stone.
Green marble rocks which, due to the presence of some dolomite in the limestone, are formed by the magnesium contained in the dolomite due to metamorphic intermingling with other materials. This stone is widely used in religious sites in Iran.
Nowadays marble stone is also used for unusual use, for example “karara” marble is used in the production of frames for some digital products such as iPhone and laptop and in the production of glasses frames.
The powder is also fed to lactating cows and chickens as a source of calcium. Or marble powder is used as part of paints, plastic products, paper and toothpaste.
It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry because of its acid-neutralizing properties as a component of antacids such as Tums and Alka-Seltzer.
Or, marble powder can be used as a mild abrasive in cleaning baths, bathrooms and kitchens and eliminating severe masses.
In some chemical industries, rivers and agricultural lands also use marble powder as acid neutralizer and pH regulator.
Iran marble mines
Pure white marble is the color of the most important and best mines located in Rustam Bam and Qorveh Sanandaj and also in Italy. There are some of the best marble mines in the world in Iran and Italy, where Iran is superior in color.
There are important marble mines in Iran, the most prominent of which are Kashmar orange marble, Abbas Abad Jolfa green marble, Khorasan Khalas marble, Azarshahr Abbarik marble, Naghadeh pink marble in West Azerbaijan province, Esfand Kerman Marble, Isfahan Jusheghan, Shahin Dezh green marble, “Turan Dasht Yazd” green marble, and Borgh Yazd green and Tanguyeh (Talenguyeh) Sirjan, named Rostam Bam village and Fars marble ,Mahalat and province.